By Dudes, For Eagles

What's better than this? Guys being Dudes.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

HARD-HITTING JOURNALISM ALERT: Fraud Council


The big news (in the very small BC Athletics world) yesterday was the official release of members selected for Marty J's Fan Council. One of his first acts as AD, I think as a collective fan base we were all excited when he made the initial announcement of putting this council together. Finally, we AS FANS - not just the big donors, as it's been for the last 2 administrations - would have a direct line to the AD's ear. However, upon yesterday's release of the names selected, it sure seems like this is not exactly the change in perspective we were all hoping for.

Because of our constant promise to you guys that we will always bring hard-hitting major league investigative journalism, I spent 20 minutes on LinkedIn yesterday compiling some basic info on the 21 knights of Marty's roundtable. The findings were disappointing to say the least - not just because I personally wasn't selected (though as we'll get into, I never really had a chance due to my sub $15 annual donation and the fact that my dad was not in My Cousin Vinny. Just wish we knew that up front so I could've saved the time I put into the app for more blog posts, trying to keep the lights on over here), but because it turns out the entire thing was a PR sham and safe space to give under-the-table-over-the-pants-HJs to Leahy's big money. Let's get into it.


First things first, for the most part I'm going to avoid using names here. I know the list is readily available, but still, a part of me feels weird trashing a college student for an alleged connection I'm making based off a last name (Macchio's kid is the exception, we all know why you're here, guy). While technically this little project would classify me as an official Private Investigator (more like "Privates" Investigator - HA!), I admit that it's certainly possible I made a mistake or two, either in my assumptions, or by accidentally going off the wrong transcript.

I guess let me start with the good news. Out of the 21 names selected, I agree with probably 8 or 9 of the picks. Former football walk-on , non-alum with a nice social media/events career, a somewhat well-known BC internet commenter, and a few seemingly completely "unconnected" alumni/fans. Ultimately I think this is the track we were looking for when this council was announced - basically regular Jane's/Joe's with a wide array of professional and personal experience who love Saturday's on the Heights like all of us do. While these 8 are a good start, there are still some major voids/demographics we're missing that could've been filled perfectly if not for the 11 or 12 Leahy-appointed seats.

Now let’s get to the fun stuff. First up, of the 21 members, at least 2 are employed by the school itself. Are we not supposed to think some strings were pulled here? And more importantly, are we completely throwing impartiality and objectivity out the window? This would be like bringing Rick Wilde in to do those Chevy focus group commercials – how critical can you really be when the establishment signing your paychecks sit across the table? And right now, criticism is what we need.  

For the rest, I’m counting TEN – that’s nearly 50 percent, people forget, math major – members who I would safely assume are VERY big donors, or have a strong connection to a big donor/trustee/sponsor. From this group we have:

- 2 Managing Directors from two of the largest banks in the world, and a 3rd guy (senior director) who works in the exact same department (potentially as a direct report, wish seems fishy in its own right) as one of those MD’s. You don’t have to read the Big Short to know these guys are PAID, and probably cut a nice check to Father Bill every holiday season.
- CFO of Philips (the huge electronics company who makes a ton of electric razors. Yes, the same brand of razor that was stolen from the Lake Street bathroom on a fateful night in 2011. Am I biased here? You tell me). Anyways, being a CFO of a massive multinational conglomerate pays well, so I hear.
- Girl with her family’s name on a prominent BC building.
- 2 marketing professionals (one current one former) with one of the Fenway Sports Group’s biggest sponsors. Obviously FSG does A LOT with BC, so this seems to me like some old school backscratching.
- Wife of the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery/Sports Medicine at one of the local hospitals.
- Guy who works as an intern for the Fish Family Foundation. Yes, as in John Fish, Chairman of the BC Board of Trustees.
- Ralph Macchio’s son.

To be clear, I’m not necessarily saying that any of these people are not somewhat qualified in their own right – being well-off/connected in no way means you can’t be passionate about the state of BC athletics (though I do think if you put a hundred mill in my pocket I would not get nearly as worked up when we lose 3-0 on multiple missed field goals to Wake Forest. Different perspective I guess). Just don’t tell us you’re going to put together an independent council of BC fans from all over and fill it with 50% of people just to make Leahy’s checking account happy. There is NO WAY that if you were truly selecting the best 21 people to move BC game day experience forward you would just happen to stumble upon this group to make up half of it. And lets also be clear, if you are leveraging your status as a top donor to try and get yourself and/or a family connection on a made-up volunteer group that will most likely make zero actual impact you are a LOSER of the highest proportion. There just has to be bigger things to worry about/use the power of your money on when you reach that point in life, and I’m like 93% sure I am not saying that from any place of bitterness or resentment.

I definitely have plenty of other complaints here – lack of GOLD representation (<10% by my count, we’re the lowest hanging-fruit of all the demographics in terms of filling the stadium and enhancing the atmosphere, should attack this more), only 2 non-alums (getting non-alum greater Boston into the mix is a huge piece of the puzzle. The whole “Boston’s College” marketing pitch shouldn’t be for nothing), average age of 40 (44 if you eliminate the students. Probably not the best representation of the demo who care about game day experience/tailgating), and of course, as is all things BC, literally only 1 (maybe 1.5, can’t tell from LinkedIn) non Cream-Cheese-White person on the entire council (which I think we all would agree is not the smartest move from a PR standpoint when your stated mission was to comprise a wide-array of diverse fans). Ultimately though, this comes down to a complete lack of transparency in the process, and remarkably off track from what the fan base expected/hoped based on Marty’s original message. I know increasing donations is his #1 job priority, and I still feel VERY strongly that he will be a huge breath of fresh air and tremendous asset for us going forward, but I think we’d all agree it is a major let down to see his first official action be so eerily similar to the lip-service we became used to with Bates.


And yes, I reserve the right to take back all of this if he can actually make beer in Alumni happen before the home opener. Who cares about a meaningless Fan Council anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment